CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Consulting Client Tip #2: Are They Ready to Heal?

One reason I only consult with registered clients is that it shows me they are ready to heal. If I am giving advice to random people online or to relatives or friends who mention a bad habit (and I jump in with advice) the person may not really be ready to heal and my words may either make it worse, make the person more resistant to change or be wasted, at best. On the other hand, when a person makes a decision to take time and money from their life to make a change (see a healer) this is a good indication that they are ready to heal. Most people I know take their money and time seriously. Even if you are just asking for a small payment or a half hour of their time this can also indicate that they are ready. However - beware of people who send quick e-mails or want to ask you advice "in passing".

We are notoriously stubborn as humans and are often not ready to heal. One student turned in an assignment this week where she talks about how a friend had to go to the emergency room for strep and got so very ill. She mentioned that this event scared her friend into changing her life. She also expressed regret that she had not been able to help this friend at the beginning of her illness before it became to bad.

However, illness and fear are not always a bad thing. Even when I am ill I think about this. Illness can be a teacher or a messenger. It can be a sign for us to stop what we are doing and change our life before it is too late. Sometimes I actually thank my body for being ill.

There is also a wisdom in letting people make their own mistakes. In this person's case, it was probably a good thing she became so ill and nobody could help her because now she is going to make life changes and she is ready. If the student had tried to help her before she got to ill, she would have gotten better and not been motivated to change her life. Sometimes illness can be a gift.

So remember when you are healing...make sure the person is ready to be healed. I am not suggesting you leave someone with a broken arm at the side of the road of course! I am simply saying that the results on your client will be much better if they are ready to be healed first.

Note: This message does not apply to children, of course.

No comments: