CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 19, 2010

Consulting Tips - Don't Miss the Obvious

I learned a good lesson about #5 (see previous post) when I had a recent bout with allergies. I am severely allergic to molds. Although I can tolerate small amounts (due to my healthy diet and herbal therapy years ago) and short term exposure I get very ill when exposed to them in an intense or frequent way. This is usually easy to avoid. I don't sleep in basements, I wear a mask when cleaning the bathroom and am careful to check the house for molds and use vinegar on areas that need "cleaning up". Sometimes I will even employ the help of a friend if I find a large patch. I wear a mask when raking moldy leaves in the Autumn and Spring and don't usually worry about the problem very much at all. After all - how often will you be exposed to mold without realizing it?

That is why I didn't even consider mold as the culprit when I became ill during a trip four weeks ago and during another trip 2 weeks ago. During both trips I assumed that perhaps I was feeling overworked, my nerves were tense from the anticipation of travel and perhaps it had made me more sensitive to things in general. That can happen. During times of great stress a person can actually be allergic to things they were never allergic to before or their old allergies can increase in severity. Sometimes I sneak in a bit of junk food when healthier food is not available on the road and perhaps I reacted to one of the additives? Or perhaps it was the hotel room?

However, the intensity of the "attacks" confused me. My diet was good. I was not exposing myself to many allergens, I wasn't feeling very anxious. I was actually feeling very relaxed and at peace. And, I had not eaten any differently than I usually do at home. So why was I having these sudden allergy attacks?

I made the cats sleep in another room for a few nights, I avoided all things I was even slightly allergic or sensitive too, I took herbal teas and homeopathic remedies. And I was fine. Until I went to an Irish Concert last weekend. It was very confusing. I was completely fine and then somewhere in-between my home and the concert I had been exposed to something. What could it have been? I had been so careful? And how could I go from feeling perfect to so severely disabled in ten minutes? What could cause such devastation?

It was driving me crazy...

(there is a hint in that last line)

Have you figured it out yet?

I didn't.

It was not until my friend said the following words that it all made sense:

"I'm sorry my car is probably not making it any better with that musty smell in it."

Suddenly everything became clear. My attacks had coincided perfectly with the three times I had rode in their "new" used car! We tested the theory for the next week (by avoiding the car and using mine) and I was completely cured.

It had not occurred to me that the ventilation system in the car could be so filled with molds. However, it was. And many cars are. I felt so silly for missing "the obvious". It also taught me a lesson - don't ever assume or leave any stone unturned. Even if you have never had trouble with something before, don't leave that out of your detective radar. The problem could be in your clothing, your car, your pet, your diet, even a new appliance. Make sure you search well and don't miss the solution that is sitting right in front of you.

If not for that chance comment by my friend I might still be baffled about it to this day. However, I am certainly going to start including this question in some of the forms my clients fill out now - especially if they drive a lot or commute to work. I'll add that question after the question that says "What kind of water to you shower in?" (to see if they have a lot of chlorine exposure).

No comments: